The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, BlackBerry ...
Hindi Poetry in a Musical Genre
Indian classical music has long been fascinating to Western audiences, most prominently since the Beatles' sessions with Ravi Shankar in the 1960s. This fascination with the musical genre still prevails in the twenty-first century.
Hindi Poetry in a Musical Genre examines Thumri Lyrics, a major genre of Hindustani music, from a primarily linguistic perspective. On a cultural level, it discusses the interface between devotional and secular poetry. Furthermore, it explains the impact of social and political change on the musical life on North India.
Well-written and thoroughly researched, this book is a valuable contribution to the field of South Asian studies. It will be interesting to academics across the discipline, including linguistics, politics, sociology, cultural and gender studies.
287 pages; ISBN 9781134159925
, or download in
More Social Science
- Academic > Languages and Linguistics > Indo-Iranian philology and literature > Indo-Aryan languages > Modern Indo-Aryan languages > Particular languages and dialects > Hindi, Urdu, Hindustani languages and literatures
- Academic > Languages and Linguistics > Indo-Iranian philology and literature > Indo-Aryan languages > Vedic
- Academic > Languages and Linguistics > Indo-Iranian philology and literature > General
- Poetry > Ancient, Classical & Medieval
- Literary Criticism > Asian
- Literary Criticism > Poetry
- Religion > Hinduism
- Social Science