The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...
Reading and Writing the World with Mathematics
Toward a Pedagogy for Social Justice
Mathematics education in the United States can reproduce social inequalities whether schools use either ''basic-skills'' curricula to prepare mainly low-income students of color for low-skilled service jobs or ''standards-based'' curricula to ready students for knowledge-intensive positions. Nor is working for fundamental social change rectifying injustice in the curriculum. ''Reading and Writing the World with Mathematics'' argues that mathematics education should prepare students to investigate and critique injustice, and to challenge, in words and actions, oppressive structures and acts. Based on teacher-research, the book provides a theoretical framework and practical examples for how mathematics educators can connect schooling to a larger sociopolitical context and concretely teach mathematics for social justice.
Understanding by Design, Expanded 2nd Edition 2005 US$ 32.95 383 pages
Energizing Brain Breaks 2013 US$ 19.95 65 pages
- Academic > Mathematics > General > Vinogradov, Ivan Matveevich, 1891-
- Academic > Mathematics > General > Mathematics; Periodicals
- Academic > Mathematics > General > Algebraic logic
- Academic > Mathematics > General > Mathematics; Social aspects; United States
- Academic > Logic > Algebraic logic
- Mathematics > Applied
- Mathematics > History & Philosophy