for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...

Learning to Listen - Book 3

Learning to Listen - Book 3
Good listening skills are vital to learning and to everyday life. Educational research shows a direct link between the ability to listen effectively, and measurable intelligence. If we improve listening skill, we improve IQ. Yet though we often complain about students’ listening skills, do we apply focused teaching to improve them? The Learning To Listen series increases student ability to sustain retentive listening over time. Each book consists of 20 appealing, high-interest stories to be read to students. After listening to each story, students complete a related listening comprehension activity. These require students to retain specific information from the story to answer given questions. Details requiring recall relate to such details as colour, order of events, sounds, sights and characters discussed in the story. Activities can be completed as a class, in groups or individually. Initially, as written or aural clues, students are given particular information to listen for before the story is read. As their listening ability develops, memory cues are reduced. Creative expression extension activities accompany each story. Don’t just talk about how students should learn to listen. Do something about it.
Curriculum Concepts; May 2007