The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, BlackBerry ...
The Fires of Jubilee
Nat Turner's Fierce Rebellion
The bloody slave rebellion led by Nat Turner in Virginia in 1831 and the savage reprisals that followed shattered beyond repair the myth of the contented slave and the benign master, and intensified the forces of change that would plunge America into the bloodbath of the Civil War.
Stephen B. Oates, the acclaimed biographer of Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King, Jr., presents a gripping and insightful account of the rebellion—the complex, gifted, and driven man who led it, the social conditions that produced it, and the legacy it left. A classic now newly reissued for the first time in more than twenty years, here is the dramatic re-creation of the turbulent period that marked a crucial turning point in America's history.
208 pages; ISBN 9780061970009
Download in or
- Academic > History > United States > Revolution to the Civil War, 1775/1783-1861 > Slavery in the United States. Antislavery movements
- Academic > History > United States local history > The South. South Atlantic States
- History > United States > Civil War Period (1850-1877)
- History > United States > 19th Century
- Biography & Autobiography > Historical
- Social Science > African-American Studies