The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader...
Sport and Spirituality
Sport science can quantify many aspects of human performance but the spiritual dimensions of sports experience cannot be fully understood through measurement. However, the spiritual experience of sport – be it described as ‘flow’, ‘transcendence’ or the discovery of meaning and value – is central both to our basic motivation to take part in sports, and to achieving success.
Sport and Spirituality: An Introduction explores these human aspects of sports experience through the perspectives of sport psychology, philosophy, ethics, theology and religious studies. It includes discussions of:
- Spirituality in the postmodern era
- Spirituality, health and well-being
- Theistic and atheistic perspectives on sport and the spiritual
- Nature and transcendence – the mystical and sublime in outdoor sport
- Applied sport psychology and the existential
- Spiritual perspectives on pain, suffering and destiny
- Sport, the virtues, ethical development and the spirit of the game
- The Olympic Games and de Coubertin’s ideas of the ‘religio athletae’.
This groundbreaking text will be a valuable resource for students of sport and exercise studies, sports coaching, physical education and sport and health psychology. This book should be read by all those interested in the preparation, performance and well-being of athletes.
280 pages; ISBN 9781134136810
, or download in or