The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader...
A Critical Reappraisal
A thorough examination of Pashukanis’ writings, this book is a significant contribution to a proper assessment of Pashukanis’ work, the value of his theoretical legacy and the contemporary relevance of Marxist legal theory.
Interest in the best-known Soviet legal scholar, Evgeny Pashukanis, remains widespread and his work retains considerable relevance. His writings provide a rich source of material on the Marxist theory of law and the state, as well as the attempts to apply that doctrine in Soviet Russia. In this book, Michael Head considers Pashukanis’ work both within its historical context and in relation to contemporary legal theory, answering a range of questions including:
- How and why did Pashukanis emerge as the pre-eminent Soviet jurist from 1924 to 1930?
- Why did he come under only minor criticism from 1930 to 1936 and then be denounced and executed in 1937 as a 'Trotskyite saboteur'?
- Why have many Western scholars generally praised the quality and originality of Pashukanis’ work, yet also drawn the conclusion that his fate illustrates the intrinsic impossibility of the entire communist project?
Serving as an introduction to Pashukanis and Marxist legal theory and a timely contribution in light of the universal assault on civil liberties in the indefinite 'War on Terror' and the constant escalation of 'law and order' measures in Western societies, this volume is an invaluable resource for those interested in jurisprudence and critical thought.
288 pages; ISBN 9781135307875
, or download in or
More from this author
Courtroom 302 2011 US$ 11.99 416 pages
Global Public Interest in International Investment Law 2012 US$ 96.00 414 pages
- Academic > Law > Law in general. Comparative and uniform law. Jurisprudence > Comparative law. International uniform law > Public health
- Academic > Law > Law in general. Comparative and uniform law. Jurisprudence > Jurisprudence. Philosophy and theory of law > Schools of legal theory
- Academic > Law > Law in general. Comparative and uniform law. Jurisprudence > Periodicals
- Political Science > Communism & Socialism
- Political Science > International Relations
- Law > Jurisprudence