The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, BlackBerry ...
Analyzing Linguistic Data
A Practical Introduction to Statistics using R
Statistical analysis is a useful skill for linguists and psycholinguists, allowing them to understand the quantitative structure of their data. This textbook provides a straightforward introduction to the statistical analysis of language. Designed for linguists with a non-mathematical background, it clearly introduces the basic principles and methods of statistical analysis, using 'R', the leading computational statistics programme. The reader is guided step-by-step through a range of real data sets, allowing them to analyse acoustic data, construct grammatical trees for a variety of languages, quantify register variation in corpus linguistics, and measure experimental data using state-of-the-art models. The visualization of data plays a key role, both in the initial stages of data exploration and later on when the reader is encouraged to criticize various models. Containing over 40 exercises with model answers, this book will be welcomed by all linguists wishing to learn more about working with and presenting quantitative data.
Cambridge University Press; March 2008
, or download in
, or download in
Program Logics for Certified Compilers 2014 US$ 14.99 469 pages
Using Google Maps and Google Earth 2011 US$ 19.99 360 pages
- Academic > Languages and Linguistics > Philology. Linguistics > Language. Linguistic theory. Comparative grammar > Science of language (Linguistics)
- Academic > Languages and Linguistics > Philology. Linguistics > General
- Mathematics > Probability & Statistics
- Language Arts & Disciplines > Linguistics
- Computers > Mathematical & Statistical Software