The Pursuit of Perfect Packing, Second Edition
The book focuses on both scientific and everyday problems ranging from atoms to honeycombs. It describes packing models, such as the Kepler conjecture, Voronoï decomposition, and Delaunay decomposition, as well as actual structure models, such as the Kelvin cell and the Weaire–Phelan structure. The authors discuss numerous historical aspects and provide biographical details on influential contributors to the field, including emails from Thomas Hales and Ken Brakke.
With examples from physics, crystallography, engineering, and biology, this accessible and whimsical book touches on many aspects of packing objects. It will help you understand components of packing and aid you in the quest for the perfect packing solution.
216 pages; ISBN 9781420068184
, or download in
Title: The Pursuit of Perfect Packing, Second Edition
Author: Denis Weaire; Tomaso Aste
- Academic > Mathematics > Algebra > Graph theory
- Academic > Mathematics > Algebra > Combinatorial packing and covering
- Academic > Mathematics > General > Vinogradov, Ivan Matveevich, 1891-
- Academic > Mathematics > General > Mathematics; Periodicals
- Academic > Mathematics > General > Mathematics; Study and teaching
- Science > Physics