The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, BlackBerry ...
The Brightest Stars
Discovering the Universe Through the Sky's Most Brilliant Stars
—David H. Levy, Science Editor, Parade magazine, discoverer of twenty-one comets, and author of Starry Night and Cosmic Discoveries
"Fred Schaaf is a poet of the stars. He brings the sky into people's lives in a way that is compelling and his descriptions have all the impact of witnessing the stars on a crystal-clear dark night."
—William Sheehan, coauthor of Mars: The Lure of the Red Planet and The Transits of Venus
In this book, you’ll meet the twenty-one brightest stars visible from Earth. You’ll learn how to find these stars and discover the best ways to see them. Each star is profiled in a separate chapter, with detailed guidance on what to look for while observing it. Suitable for beginners as well as experienced amateur astronomers, the book shares fascinating information about the lore and legends connected with each star through history, as well as what the science of astronomy has to teach us about the star’s physical nature.
- Academic > Space Sciences > Descriptive astronomy > Stars
- Academic > Space Sciences > Descriptive astronomy > Astronomical photometry; History
- Academic > Space Sciences > General > Nautical almanacs
- Academic > Space Sciences > General > Astronomical observatories; History
- Science > Astronomy
- Science > Astrophysics & Space Science
- Science > Cosmology