Conflicts in Environmental Regulation and the Internationalization of the State
This book examines the global regulation of biodiversity politics through the UN UNConvention on Biological Diversity (CBD), the WTO and other international treaties. Using historical-materialist state and regulation theory, it assesses how the discourse and politics of sustainable development have contributed to the internationalisation of the state.
The authors argue that sustainable development, far from being a fixed concept, is a conceptual terrain on which different and conflicting symbolisations of and solutions responses to of the ecological crisis struggle for hegemony. Furthermore, it shows that the international multilateral environmental organisations agreements are not at all a means to counteract neoliberal globalisation but, on the contrary, form an integral part of the ongoing transformation process. Focussing on the UN Convention on Biological DiversityCBD, the FAO International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture and the Agreement on Trade-related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) in the World Trade Organisation, this co-authored volume addresses the following issues:
- state theory, regulation theory and International Political Economy
- biodiversity protection and valorisation of genetic resources
- access to genetic resources and sharing of benefits which arise out of its use
- enforcement of intellectual property rights and their impact on biodiversity.
This book will be of interest to students and scholars of international politics, international political economy, environmental studies, development studies and political ecology.
282 pages; ISBN 9781134050369
, or download in or
Title: Conflicts in Environmental Regulation and the Internationalization of the State
Author: Ulrich Brand; Christoph Görg; Joachim Hirsch; Markus Wissen
More Social Science
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down 1998 US$ 9.99 339 pages
The Corner 2013 US$ 12.99 576 pages
- Academic > Environmental Sciences > Environmental policy > Environmental policy, general
- Academic > Earth Sciences > Environmental sciences > Periodicals and societies
- Academic > Earth Sciences > Environmental sciences > Environmental policy
- Academic > Geography > Environmental sciences > Environmental policy
- Academic > Environmental Sciences > Societies, etc
- Social Science
- Political Science
- The Environment