The Adventures of a Lonely Stargazer Building an Over-the-Top Observatory
My Heavens! describes how to set up a high class amateur observatory. Written by a qualified building surveyor, it looks at the planning, building and construction from a professional viewpoint. The book tells the "warts and all" story of small beginnings in amateur astronomy, leading to the construction of a "top of the range" observatory at a house on the edge of a country village between Oxford and London. Comparisons are made with similar large projects in the USA. Eventually an observatory materializes, set up to facilitate the taking of very high quality images of the deep sky. The story doesn’t end with the construction of the observatory, but goes on to describe the author’s choice of equipment, setting it up, and his own techniques for obtaining superb astronomical images like those displayed in his book.
193 pages; ISBN 9780387737836
, or download in
Title: My Heavens!
Author: Gordon Rogers
- Academic > Space Sciences > Descriptive astronomy > Stars
- Academic > Space Sciences > General > Nautical almanacs
- Academic > Space Sciences > General > Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
- Academic > Space Sciences > General > ; Astronomical observatories; Design and construction; Amateurs' manuals
- Science > Astronomy
- Science > Astrophysics & Space Science
- Biography & Autobiography