Succeeding with Your Doctorate
'From page one the appeal of the book is evident in the jargon free, user friendly text. I would not hesitate to recommend it to other students whatever stage of their doctorate they have reached.' - Educate Journal

Whether you undertaking a taught doctorate, or a course of study leading to a PhD, this book offers complete, up-to-date guidance and discussion on all aspects of successful doctoral work. The five experienced authors give advice on every stage in the process of completing a doctorate, from helping you to engage in critical reflection to better understand your own research biases, to useful guidelines on preparing for, and surviving, the viva. Combining general discussion with practical advice, this book is an essential companion to your research.

Topics include:

Preparing for a doctorate

Embarking on your Research

Adapting to life as a student

Working with a supervisor

Reading critically

Conceptualising your research

Thinking about methodologies and approaches

Producing a thesis

Preparing for and taking the viva

Disseminating your research

SAGE Study Skills are essential study guides for students of all levels. From how to write great essays and succeeding at university, to writing your undergraduate dissertation and doing postgraduate research, SAGE Study Skills help you get the best from your time at university.

SAGE Publications; April 2005
Read online, or download in EPUB or secure PDF format
For those undertaking a taught doctorate, Masters degree, or a course of study leading to a PhD, this book offers complete, up-to-date guidance and discussion on all aspects of successful doctoral work. The five experienced authors give advice on every st