An Introduction to Instructional Services in Academic Libraries

More than ever before, librarians are being called upon to contribute considerable energy, knowledge, and leadership to fostering the academic success of students through information literacy. Unique in its expansive breadth and in-depth approach, An Introduction to Instructional Services in Academic Libraries explores the latest methods and ideas for planning, delivering, and evaluating effective instructional sessions.

Providing librarians with informative, real-world case studies culled from over three dozen prominent librarian-instructors from across the US and Canada, An Introduction to Instructional Services in Academic Libraries comprehensively covers the topics of experiential learning, hybrid models of library instruction, interdisciplinary inquiry through collaboration, introducing primary documents to undergrads, using case studies in credit-bearing library courses, teaching information literacy to ESL students, information literature for the non-traditional student, preparing an advanced curriculum for graduate students, librarians in the online classroom, and teaching distance education students. An Introduction to Instructional Services in Academic Libraries features numerous planning documents, survey instruments, handouts, active learning exercises, and extensive references which make it an ideal resource for educators and librarians everywhere.

Taylor and Francis; October 2008