List of Figures and Tables.
Notes on Contributors.
Introduction. (Susan Schneider and Max Velmans).
Part I: Problems of Consciousness.
1. A Brief History of the Scientific Approach to the Study of Consciousness. (Chris Frith and Geraint Rees).
2. Philosophical Problems of Consciousness. (Michael Tye).
Part II: The Domain of Consciousness.
Origins and Extent of Consciousness.
3. Consciousness in Infants. (Colwyn Trevarthen and Vasuvedi Reddy).
4. Animal Consciousness. (Colin Allen and Mark Bekoff).
5. Rethinking the Evolution of Consciousness. (Thomas Polger).
6. Machine Consciousness. (Igor Aleksander).
Some Varieties of Conscious Experience.
7. Normal and Abnormal States of Consciousness. (J. Allan Hobson).
8. Affective Consciouness. (Jaak Panksepp).
9. Clinical Oathologies and Unusual Experiences. (Richard P. Bentall).
10. Altered States of Consciousness: Drug Induced States. (Edward F. Pace-Schott and J. Allan Hobson).
11. Meditation. (David Fontana).
12. Mystical Experience. (David Fontana).
Breakdowns and the Unity of Consciousness.
13. The Case of Blindsight. (Lawrence Weiskrantz).
14. Split-Brain Cases. (Mary K. Colvin and Michael S. Gazzaniga).
15. Philosophical Psychopathology and Self-Consciousness. (G. Lynn Stephens and George Graham).
16. Coming Together: the Unity of Conscious Experience. (Barry Dainton).
Part III: Some Contemporary Theories of Consciousness.
17. The Hard Problem of Consciousness. (David Chalmers).
18. The Global Workspace Theory of Consciousness. (Bernard J. Baars).
19. The Intermediate Level Theory of Consciousness. (Jesse Prinz).
20. Representationalism about Consciousness. (William Seager and David Bourget).
21. Higher-Order Theories of Consciousness. (Peter Carruthers).
22. The Information Integration Theory of Consciousness. (Giulio Tononi).
23. Quantum Mechanical Theories of Consciousness. (Henry Stapp).
24. Daniel Dennett on the Nature of Consciousness. (Susan Schneider).
25. Biological Naturalism. (John Searle).
26. Mysterianism. (Mark Rowlands).
27. Dualism, Reductionism, and Reflexive Monism. (Max Velmans).
28. Naturalistic Dualism. (David Chalmers).
Part IV: Some Major Topics in the Philosophy of Consciousness.
29. Anti-materialist Arguments and Influential Replies. (Joe Levine).
30. Functionalism and Qualia. (Robert Van Gulick).
31. The Knowledge Argument. (Torin Alter).
32. The Causal Efficacy of Consciousness. (Jaegwon Kim).
33. The Neurophilosophy of Consciousness. (Pete Mandik).
34. Type Materialism for Phenomenal Consciousness. (Brian McLaughlin).
35. Sensory and Perceptual Consciousness. (Austen Clark).
36. Self-Consciousness. (José Luis Bermúdez).
37. Consciousness and Intentionality. (George Graham, Terry Horgan, and John Tienson).
Part V: Major Topics in the Science of Consciousness. Topics in the Cognitive.
Psychology of Consciousness.
38. Attention and Consciousness. (Nilli Lavie).
39. Inattentional Blindness, Change Blindness and Consciousness. (Alva Noë).
40. Preconscious Processing. (Phil Merikle).
41. Implicit and Explicit Memory and Learning. (John Kihlstrom, Jennifer Dorfman, and Lillian Park).
42. Consciousness of Action. (Marc Jeannerod).
Topics in the Neuroscience of Consciousness.
43. Methodologies for Identifying the Neural Correlates of Consciousness. (Geraint Rees and Chris Frith).
44. A Neurobiological Framework for Consciousness. (Francis Crick and Christof Koch).
45. A Theory of Micro-consciousness. (Semir Zeki).
46. Global Disorders of Consciousness. (Nicholas D. Schiff).
47. Large-Scale Temporal Coordination of Cortical Activity as a Prerequisite for Conscious Experience. (Wolf Singer).
48. Duplex Vision: Separate Cortical Pathways for Conscious Perception and the Control of Action. (Melvyn A. Goodale).
49. Consciousness and Anesthesia. (John F. Kihlstrom and Randall C. Cork).
50. Neural Dominance, Neural Deference, and Sensorimotor Dynamics. (Susan Hurley).
51. Benjamin Libet's Work on the Neuroscience of Free Will. (William P. Banks and Susan Pockett).
First-Person Contributions to the Science of Consciousness.
52. Cognition, Fringe Consciousness, and the Legacy of William James. (Bruce Mangan).
53. Phenomenological Approaches to Consciousness. (Shaun Gallagher).
54. Eastern Methods for Investigating Mind and Consciousness. (Jonathan Shear).
55. An Epistemology for the Study of Consciousness. (Max Velmans) Appendix: List of Useful Web Resources in Consciousness Studies.