The passage from adolescence to adulthood was once clear. Today, growing up has become more complex and confusing, as young men drift casually through college and beyond—hanging out, partying, playing with tech toys, watching sports. But beneath the appearance of a simple extended boyhood, a more dangerous social world has developed, far away from the traditional signposts and cultural signals that once helped boys navigate their way to manhood—a territory Michael Kimmel has identified as "Guyland."
In mapping the troubling social world where men are now made, Kimmel offers a view into the minds and times of America's sons, brothers, and boyfriends, and he works toward redefining what it means to be a man today—and tomorrow. Only by understanding this world and this life stage can we enable young men to chart their own paths, stay true to themselves, and emerge safely from Guyland as responsible and fully formed male adults.
352 pages; ISBN 9780061873775
Author: Michael Kimmel
Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man, Expanded Edition 2014 US$ 8.99 288 pages
The Joy of Sex 2013 US$ 13.99 288 pages
- Academic > Sociology > The Family. Marriage. Women > The family. Marriage. Home > Young men and women
- Academic > Sociology > The Family. Marriage. Women > The family. Marriage. Home > Adulthood
- Academic > Sociology > The Family. Marriage. Women > Sexual life
- Social Science > Men's Studies
- Family & Relationships > Parenting