The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, BlackBerry ...
When Parents Hurt
This unique book supports parents who are struggling with the heartache of having a teenager or an adult child who is troubled, angry, or distant. Such rifts can cause unspeakable sorrow that parents too often must bear alone. Psychologist and parent Joshua Coleman, Ph.D., offers insight, empathy, and perspective to those who have lost the opportunity to be the parent they desperately wanted to be and who are mourning the loss of a harmonious relationship with their child. Through case examples and healing exercises, Dr. Coleman helps parents:
- Reduce anger, guilt, and shame
- Learn how temperament, the teen years, their own or a partner's mistakes, and divorce can strain the parent-child bond
- Come to terms with their own and their child's imperfections
- Maintain self-esteem through difficult times
- Develop strategies for rebuilding the relationship or move toward acceptance of what can't be changed
- Understand how society's high expectations of parents contribute to the risk of parental wounds
By helping parents recognize what they can do, and let go of what they cannot, Dr. Coleman helps families develop more positive ways of healing themselves and relating to each other.
325 pages; ISBN 9780061700828
Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man, Expanded Edition 2014 US$ 10.99 288 pages
Hold Me Tight 2008 US$ 12.99