The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, BlackBerry ...
The Military and Domestic Politics
A Concordance Theory of Civil-Military Relations
The intervention of the military in national politics and the everyday lives of citizens is a key question in civil-military relations. This book explains how concordance theory can provide a model for predicting such domestic intervention.
Models dealing with the relationship between the military and society are usually based on Western nations with power and influence, and therefore may not be appropriate for the circumstances of non-Western countries. By contrast, concordance theory considers national contexts where the balance of military involvement in civilian life depends greatly on historical circumstances, institutional nuances, and cultural realities. Using five case studies - India, Pakistan, Israel, Argentina, and Post-Revolutionary America - this book challenges traditional views on the role of the military in society, and offers convincing examples for the continual application of concordance theory. It also explores the evolution of the theory from the field of military studies to one of ‘corporate concordance’.
This book will be of much interest to advanced students of Civil-Military Relations, military sociology, political science and US politics.
182 pages; ISBN 9781135978051
, or download in or
Title: The Military and Domestic Politics
Author: Rebecca L. Schiff
Killing Patton 2014 US$ 12.99 304 pages
History for the IB Diploma: Causes, Practices and Effects of Wars 2011 US$ 26.00 241 pages
- Academic > Public Affairs > Public Affairs > Public administration
- Academic > Political Science > Political Science > Public administration
- Academic > Public Affairs > Political institutions and public administration > General. Comparative government > Political rights. Political participation
- Academic > Political Science > Political institutions and public administration > General. Comparative government > Political rights. Political participation
- Current Events > Peace
- Current Events > Warfare & Terrorism
- Political Science > Federal Government
- Political Science > Political Freedom & Security
- Social Science > Sociology
- History > Military