The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader...
Open up the Doors
Music in the Modern Church
This book surveys the music used in churches around the world today in the context of the history of western congregational song and concludes that music, like other cultural elements of contemporary Christianity, has been widely secularized. This secularization is a global phenomenon fed by the explosive growth of the contemporary church music industry (worth more than $900 million in annual sales) which has seen the large secular music companies acquiring independent labels, in many cases, to the distress of the faithful. By analyzing the tensions and controversies that are fuelling this crisis and leading to the breakdown of traditions that have been the backbone Christian tradition for centuries, the book questions whether the theoretical and practical problems aroused by this crisis can ever be surmounted.
224 pages; ISBN 9781845534929
, or download in
More from this author
- Academic > Performing Arts > Literature on music > History and criticism > By region or country
- Academic > Performing Arts > Literature on music > History and criticism > Vocal music
- Academic > Performing Arts > Literature on music > Periodicals. Serials
- Academic > Performing Arts > Literature on music > Special collections
- Religion > Christianity
- Religion > Institutions & Organizations