Wars of the Jews or, Jewish War or, The History of the Destruction of Jerusalem
(If any tax is payable it will be calculated and shown at checkout.)
Print & copy permissions
Complete interlinked edition. Includes contemporary maps, timelines, family trees, coinage, and units of measure, as well as modern view of history and analysis of Josephus works. Josephus fought the Romans in the First Jewish-Roman War as a Jewish military leader in Galilee. After the the Romans invaded, killing thousands, Josephus and one of his soldiers surrendered to the Roman forces. He became a prisoner and provided the Romans with intelligence on the ongoing revolt. He appears to have played some role as a negotiator with the defenders of Jerusalem in 70. In 71, he arrived in Rome in the entourage of Titus, becoming a Roman citizen. It was while in Rome, and under Flavian patronage, that Josephus wrote all of his works.
The works of Josephus were studied for nearly 2,000 years by scholars, pastors, students, and everybody interested in history. Josephus writes in enlightened and provocative style. He offers information about individuals, groups, customs and geographical places. His writings provide a significant, extra-biblical account of the Maccabees, the Hasmonean dynasty and the rise of Herod the Great. He makes references to the Sadducees, Jewish High Priests of the time, Pharisees and Essenes, the Herodian Temple, the Zealots, and to such figures as Pontius Pilate, Herod the Great, Agrippa I and Agrippa II, John the Baptist, James the brother of Jesus. The Josephus'' books provide the most important contemporary reference to Jesus Christ.
The updated translations of Josephus'' works by William Whiston are easy to read and are essential to understanding of the first century Jerusalem, the time of Christ and the New Testament.
Table of Contents
Wars of the Jews or Jewish War or the History of the Destruction of Jerusalem (c. 75)
1. Maps of Palestine: 830 BC | 50 AD | Galilee 50 AD
2. Maps of Assyria and Persian Empire: Assyria 824-671 BC | Persian Empire 490 BC
3. Maps of Roman Empire: 218 BC - 117 AD | 69 AD | 117 AD | Legions Camps 80 AD
4. Models: Jerusalem | Solomon''s Temple | Herod''s Temple
5. Timeline Graphical: Near East 3000-600 BC | Hasmonaean Dynasty 175 BC-35 BC | Roman Empire 60 BC-450 AD
6. Timeline of Places: Palestine | Biblical Israel and Judah | Jerusalem | Ancient Rome
7. Timeline of Jewish Leaders: Kings of Judah | Kings of Israel | High Priests | Hasmonaean Dynasty | Herodian Dynasty | Herod | Christianity
8. Timeline of Roman Leaders: Emperors | Procurators of Judaea
9. Graphical Family Trees: Herod | Herod and Mariamne | Flavian Dynasty
10. Biographies: Josephus | Hasmonaean Dynasty | Herodian Dynasty | Herod | Vespasian | Titus | Domitian
11. History: Palestine | Biblical Israel and Judah | Iudaea Province | First Jewish-Roman War (66-73) | Kitos War (115-117) | Second Jewish-Roman War (132-135)
12. Calendar: Hebrew | Julian | Syrian/Macedonian
13. Coinage: Most Common | Hebrew | Greek | Roman
14. Units of Measure: Conversion | Relationship between units of length and human body
15. Josephus on Jesus: Antiquities of the Jews-Book XVIII | Antiquities of the Jews-Book XX | Description of Essenes
; January 2008
ISBN 9781605012520Read online
, or download in secure EPUB
or secure PDF format
Title: Wars of the Jews or, Jewish War or, The History of the Destruction of Jerusalem
Buy, download and read Wars of the Jews or, Jewish War or, The History of the Destruction of Jerusalem (eBook) by MobileReference today!