Visible Learning

A Synthesis of Over 800 Meta-Analyses Relating to Achievement

Visible Learning by John Hattie

This unique and ground-breaking book is the result of 15 years research and synthesises over 800 meta-analyses on the influences on achievement in school-aged students. It builds a story about the power of teachers, feedback, and a model of learning and understanding. The research involves many millions of students and represents the largest ever evidence based research into what actually works in schools to improve learning. Areas covered include the influence of the student, home, school, curricula, teacher, and teaching strategies. A model of teaching and learning is developed based on the notion of visible teaching and visible learning.

A major message is that what works best for students is similar to what works best for teachers – an attention to setting challenging learning intentions, being clear about what success means, and an attention to learning strategies for developing conceptual understanding about what teachers and students know and understand.

Although the current evidence based fad has turned into a debate about test scores, this book is about using evidence to build and defend a model of teaching and learning. A major contribution is a fascinating benchmark/dashboard for comparing many innovations in teaching and schools.

Taylor and Francis; November 2008
Title: Visible Learning
Author: John Hattie

David Staples: Math reforms bring hope for our most vulnerable students - Edmonton Journal
Thu, 01 Sep 2016 18:17:34 -0700
Edmonton JournalDavid Staples: Math reforms bring hope for our most vulnerable studentsEdmonton JournalThere should be a ...
Students taught pseudo-scientific 'rubbish', experts warn - The Sydney Morning Herald
Thu, 04 Aug 2016 19:44:00 -0700
The Sydney Morning HeraldStudents taught pseudo-scientific 'rubbish', experts warnThe Sydney Morning HeraldA teaching ...
Opinion: Helicopter parents - get in gear before engaging - The Educator
Thu, 04 Feb 2016 16:22:28 -0800
The EducatorOpinion: Helicopter parents - get in gear before engagingThe EducatorIn his widely read book on what affects ...