Visible Learning

A Synthesis of Over 800 Meta-Analyses Relating to Achievement

Visible Learning by John Hattie

This unique and ground-breaking book is the result of 15 years research and synthesises over 800 meta-analyses on the influences on achievement in school-aged students. It builds a story about the power of teachers, feedback, and a model of learning and understanding. The research involves many millions of students and represents the largest ever evidence based research into what actually works in schools to improve learning. Areas covered include the influence of the student, home, school, curricula, teacher, and teaching strategies. A model of teaching and learning is developed based on the notion of visible teaching and visible learning.

A major message is that what works best for students is similar to what works best for teachers – an attention to setting challenging learning intentions, being clear about what success means, and an attention to learning strategies for developing conceptual understanding about what teachers and students know and understand.

Although the current evidence based fad has turned into a debate about test scores, this book is about using evidence to build and defend a model of teaching and learning. A major contribution is a fascinating benchmark/dashboard for comparing many innovations in teaching and schools.

Taylor and Francis; November 2008
Title: Visible Learning
Author: John Hattie

• Contents
The Slightly Awesome Teacher - Schools Week
Sat, 12 Nov 2016 21:05:28 -0800
Schools WeekThe Slightly Awesome TeacherSchools WeekIt claims to be the “love child” of four hugely influential books by Doug ...
Students taught pseudo-scientific 'rubbish', experts warn - The Sydney Morning Herald
Thu, 04 Aug 2016 19:44:00 -0700
The Sydney Morning HeraldStudents taught pseudo-scientific 'rubbish', experts warnThe Sydney Morning HeraldThe learning ...
Kearsley Academy, where young people and adults learn together - The Bolton News
Mon, 04 Jul 2016 22:05:51 -0700
The Bolton NewsKearsley Academy, where young people and adults learn togetherThe Bolton NewsIn January, 2016 Mel Hughes, lead ...