The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, BlackBerry ...
First Steps on a New Planet
"Marswalk One: First Steps on a New Planet" addresses the question of why we should embark on a journey to Mars, documenting what the first human crew will do when they place their feet in the red dust of the planet. This book also addresses why we need to carry out these tasks and, more importantly, what a human crew could achieve that an automated mission could not. Understanding the clear benefits of sending a human crew to the surface of Mars, and how these benefits can be seen back on Earth, is the key to sustained long-term public and political support for the programme in terms of cash and commitment. This book accepts that the journey will be made, but does not specify precisely when. Flight time, and how to get to and from the planet are discussed briefly, to understand why the suggested duration spent at Mars is reasonable. The main objective of the work is to look at what science will be done on the surface - supported by orbital operations - and what hardware and technology will be employed to achieve the mission objectives.
Springer; July 2007
, or download in
, or download in
- Academic > Space Sciences > Descriptive astronomy > Solar system
- Academic > Space Sciences > Descriptive astronomy > Mars (Planet)
- Academic > Space Sciences > General > Stars Observations
- Academic > Space Sciences > General > Astronomy; Observers' manuals
- Academic > Engineering
- Science > Astrophysics & Space Science
- Science > Astronomy
- Technology > Aeronautics & Astronautics