The World's Major Languages
This volume features over 50 of the world's languages and language families. The featured languages have been chosen based on the number of speakers, their role as official languages and their cultural and historical importance. Each language is looked at in depth, and the chapters provide information on both grammatical features and on salient features of the language's history and cultural role.
This second edition has been updated and revised. Two new languages, Amharic and Javanese, have been included.
This accessible volume will appeal to anyone with an interest in linguistics.
- Attention is paid to both grammatical and sociolinguistic features
- Attention is concentrated on the world's major languages
- Designed to be accessible to all readers with an interest in language.
912 pages; ISBN 9781134261550
, or download in or
Title: The World's Major Languages
Author: Bernard Comrie
More Language Arts
- Academic > Languages and Linguistics > Philology. Linguistics > General
- Academic > Languages and Linguistics > Philology. Linguistics > Language. Linguistic theory. Comparative grammar
- Reference > Encyclopedias
- Reference > Handbooks & Manuals
- Language Arts & Disciplines > Semantics
- Language Arts & Disciplines > Linguistics
- Foreign Language Study