The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader...
A Very Short Introduction
Everyone has heard of autism, but the disorder itself is little understood. It has captured the public imagination through films and novels portraying individuals with baffling combinations of disability and extraordinary talent, and yet the reality is more often that it places a heavy burden on sufferers and their families.
This Very Short Introduction offers a clear statement on what is currently known about autism and Asperger syndrome. Explaining the vast array of different conditions that hide behind these two labels, and looking at symptoms from the full spectrum of autistic disorders, it explores the possible causes for the apparent rise in autism and also evaluates the links with neuroscience, psychology, brain development, genetics, and environmental causes including MMR and Thimerosal.
This short, authoritative, and accessible book also explores the psychology behind social impairment and savantism, and throughout, sheds light on what it is like to live inside the mind of the sufferer. -
144 pages; ISBN 9780191578656
Download in or
More from this author
- Academic > Health Sciences > Pediatrics > Diseases of children and adolescents > Mental disorders. Child psychiatry
- Academic > Health Sciences > Pediatrics > Examination. Diagnosis
- Medicine > Pediatrics
- Medicine > Neurology
- Psychology & Psychiatry > Clinical Psychology
- Psychology & Psychiatry > Psychopathology
- Family & Relationships > Children with Special Needs
- Health & Fitness