The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...
Dialogues and Essays
In these dialogues and essays the Stoic philosopher Seneca outlines his thoughts on how to live in a troubled world. Tutor to the young emperor Nero, Seneca wrote exercises in practical philosophy that draw upon contemporary Roman life and illuminate the intellectual concerns of the day. They also have much to say to the modern reader, as Seneca ranges widely across subjects such as the shortness of life, tranquillity of mind, anger, mercy, happiness, and grief at the loss of a loved one.
Seneca's accessible, aphoristic style makes his writing especially attractive as an introduction to Stoic philosophy, and belies its reputation for austerity and dogmatism. This edition combines a clear and modern translation with an introduction to Seneca's life and philosophical interests, and helpful
304 pages; ISBN 9780191604966
Download in or
Duty 2014 US$ 14.99 640 pages
- Academic > Literature > Literature > Collections of general literature > Wit and humor > By region or country > Seneca, Lucius Annaeus
- Academic > Literature > Collections of general literature > Wit and humor > By region or country
- Academic > Literature > Classical literature > Roman literature > Individual authors Including:
- Academic > Languages and Linguistics > Greek philology and language
- History > Ancient > Rome
- Philosophy > Western
- Literary Collections > Essays
- Literary Criticism > Ancient & Classical