Fundamental Physics for Probing and Imaging

This unique textbook explains the fundamental physics that makes it possible to see inside things around us. Written for professional physicists and students, it follows applications in medicine and elsewhere. It puts physics in a cultural context, addresses matters of fear and safety, and reaches some significant conclusions. - ;Physics has reduced fear and increased safety for society, largely by extending the power to see. The methods used are magnetic resonance, ionising radiation and sound, with their extensions. This textbook expounds the fundamental physics of these. It follows how they are applied by modern technology to "seeing" in clinical medicine including therapy and in other spheres of human activity such as archaeology, geophysics, security and navigation. By taking a broad view over the

whole field, the book encourages comparisons, underlines the importance of public education and reaches fresh conclusions of some political importance concerning safety. This textbook has developed from a course given to third year students at Oxford and is written so that it can be used coherently as a

basis for shorter courses by omitting certain chapters. - ;All of us (whether students or professionals, academics or clinicians) need to engage with the fundamentals of our subject and medical physicists can do so with this book. For most of us, the going will be tough but the effort worthwhile. Scope, December 2007. - ;'This is a very good text for the prospective reader with a decent price tag. It would be useful for undergraduates in physics and related disciplines and those interested in medical imaging and therapy. Physical Sciences Educational Reviews, December 2007 - ;The author isn't afraid of equations and gives good account of those necessary to understand this growing imaging technology. We see cat scans and the like on Medical TV shows, but this is the kind of book Doctors need to get some understanding of the technology. I have in the past condemned other books for not being willing to put their equations where their mouth is: not here. We really need more books like this one and fewer dumbing down texts that insult the reader. Amazon 5

Star Review 2007, R. Bagula, USA - ;"Medical imaging works with relatively poor images of complex objects that show subtle distinctions between normal and diseased, yet systems are required to work correctly almost every time. The only way that this can possibly be achieved is for systems to incorporate models: of physiology, and of image formation. For years, I have wanted my students to have available a concise yet readable and authoritative introduction to the basic physics of image formation. Wade Allison's book

admirably addresses that need. - Sir Michael Brady, Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford,;'Of high quality in terms of its level of discussion and the care and sequencing with which new concepts are introduced. There is a need for such a book.' - David Saxon, Faculty of Physical Sciences, University of Glasgow

Oxford University Press, UK; October 2006
Download in secure PDF format