From Novice to Professional
Beginning Rails is the practical starting point for anyone wanting to learn how to build dynamic web applications using the Rails framework for Ruby. Youll learn how all of the components of Rails fit together and how you can leverage them to create sophisticated web applications with less code and more joy.
This book is particularly well suited to those with little or no experience with web application development, or who have some experience but are new to Rails. Beginning Rails assumes basic familiarity with web terms and technologies, but doesn't require you to be an expert.
- A gentle introduction to the Ruby programming language
- Installing Ruby and Rails on a Mac, Linux, or Windows system
- The philosophy behind Rails and why it matters
- The Model-View-Controller architecture
- The basics of relational databases and SQL
- Setting up a MySQL database and creating a schema with migrations
- Experimenting with your live application in the Rails console
- Creating rich relationships between your models
- Using controllers and templates properly
- Leveraging helpers to keep your templates clean and logic free
- Adding Ajax and visual effects to enrich your user interfaces
- How to send and receive mail from your application
- Using and creating your own plug-ins
- Ensuring your code against Murphys Law through writing tests
- Using Capistrano to deploy your application
Rather than delving into the arcane details of Rails, the focus is on the aspects of the framework that will become your pick, shovel, and axe. Part history lesson, part introduction to object-oriented programming, and part dissertation on open source software, Beginning Rails doesnt just explain how to do something in Rails, it explains why.
Every programmer fondly remembers the book that helped them get started. The goal of Beginning Rails is to become that book for you, today.
379 pages; ISBN 9781430203193
, or download in
Title: Beginning Rails
Author: Cloves Carneiro Jr; Hampton Catlin; Jeffrey Hardy
Java For Everyone 2012 US$ 52.00 831 pages
- Academic > Computer Science > Programming languages > C ; Periodicals
- Academic > Computer Science > Programming languages > REXX
- Academic > Computer Science > Programming languages > Ruby
- Academic > Computer Science > Computer science
- Academic > Computer Science > Electronic data processing
- Academic > Mathematics
- Computers > Programming > Software Development
- Computers > Programming Languages