The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader...
Employee Representation in Non-Union Firms
`Paul Gollan's book is an important contribution to our understanding of the significance of non-union employee representation in Britain and its implications for the future of employment relations. It is highly recommended'
- Russell Lansbury, Professor of Work & Organisational Studies, University of Sydney
'Can employees have effective voice without independent collective organisation? In the UK, unlike most of continental Europe, government and employers typically answer yes. Gollan's detailed study provides sound reasons for scepticism'
- Richard Hyman, Department of Industrial Relations, LSE
'We know very little about the non-union sector in Britain despite the fact that it now embraces the clear majority of the workforce. The publication of Paul Gollan's Employee Representation in Non-Union Firms therefore represents a very important addition to the field. Based on extensive and detailed in-depth study of some leading non-union employers, it throws new light on the ways in which employee interests are represented in such firms'
- Prof John Kelly, Birkbeck College
'Are non-union systems of representation (NER) an acceptable alternative to union-based systems or do they infact complement more traditional forms of union representation?'
- Bruce Kaufman, Georgia State University Robinson College of Business
This book is the first of its kind to answer this challenging question. It offers a comprehensive overview of NER in the UK and locates UK practice within an international context. Readers are invited to consider the potential implications and limitations of NER arrangements, and to examine how unions respond to these NER arrangements through bargaining, consultation and representation processes. Throughout issues are addressed on both a macro and micro level. The book reviews the literature and examines current practice using survey data and original case analysis.
Engaging readers who are studying industrial relations, human resource management, employee involvement and consultation, unions and management strategy, it will also be appeal to practioners working in these areas.
Case Study Material available!
Go to the Sample Materials and Chapters link on the left navigation bar to access this excellent additional resource.
233 pages; ISBN 9781849202367
, or download in
More from this author
- Rethinking Misbehavior and Resistance in Organizations2012US$ 124.95297 pages
- Academic > Economics > Industries. Land use. Labor > Labor. Work. Working class > Industrial relations
- Academic > Economics > Industries. Land use. Labor > Management. Industrial management
- Political Science > Labor & Industrial Relations
- Business > Labor
- Business > Human Resources & Personnel Management