The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, BlackBerry ...
The Man Who Trusted Atoms
most to establish that there is a microscopic, atomic structure underlying macroscopic bodies is documented, as is Boltzmann's influence on modern physics, especially through the work of Planck on light quanta and of Einstein on Brownian motion.
Boltzmann was the centre of a scientific upheaval, and he has been proved right on many crucial issues. He anticipated Kuhn's theory of scientific revolutions and proposed a theory of knowledge based on Darwin. His basic results, when properly understood, can also be stated as mathematical theorems. Some of these have been proved: others are still at the level of likely but unproven conjectures. The main text of this biography is written almost entirely without equations. Mathematical
appendices deepen knowledge of some technical aspects of the subject. -
348 pages; ISBN 9780191524721
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down 1998 US$ 9.99 339 pages
Twelve Years a Slave 2013 US$ 0.99 352 pages
- Academic > Physics > Physicists; Biography > Anderson, Carl D. (Carl David), 1905-
- Academic > Physics > Physicists; Biography > Boltzmann, Ludwig, 1844-1906
- Academic > Physics > Descriptive and experimental mechanics
- Academic > Physics > Physics; Abstracts; Periodicals
- Science > History
- Biography & Autobiography > Science & Technology