for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...

A History of Mathematics

From Mesopotamia to Modernity

A History of Mathematics
A History of Mathematics: From Mesopotamia to Modernity covers the evolution of mathematics through time and across the major Eastern and Western civilizations. It begins in Babylon, then describes the trials and tribulations of the Greek mathematicians. The important, and often neglected, influence of both Chinese and Islamic mathematics is covered in detail, placing the description of early Western mathematics in a global context. The book concludes with modern mathematics,

covering recent developments such as the advent of the computer,

chaos theory, topology, mathematical physics, and the solution of Fermat's Last Theorem. Containing more than 100 illustrations and figures, an extensive bibliography, and numerous exercises and solutions, this is an ideal teaching text. - ;A History of Mathematics: From Mesopotamia to Modernity covers the evolution of mathematics through time and across the major Eastern and Western civilizations. It begins in Babylon, then describes the trials and tribulations of the Greek mathematicians. The important, and often neglected, influence of both Chinese and Islamic mathematics is covered in detail, placing the description of early Western mathematics in a global context. The book concludes with modern

mathematics, covering recent developments such as the advent of the computer, chaos theory, topology, mathematical physics, and the solution of Fermat's Last Theorem.

Containing more than 100 illustrations and figures, this text, aimed at advanced undergraduates and postgraduates, addresses the methods and challenges associated with studying the history of mathematics. The reader is introduced to the leading figures in the history of mathematics (including Archimedes, Ptolemy, Qin Jiushao, al-Kashi, al-Khwarizmi, Galileo, Newton, Leibniz, Helmholtz, Hilbert, Alan Turing, and Andrew Wiles) and their fields. An extensive bibliography with cross-references to

key texts will provide invaluable resource to students and exercises (with solutions) will stretch the more advanced reader. - ;The book contains more than 100 illustrations, pictures and figures, and many exercises (with solutions). An extensive bibliography with cross-references will be very helpful for students and readers. The book will be interesting for undergraduate and postgraduate students of mathematics and other readers interested in the history and philosophy of mathematics. - EMS Newsletter;Interesting and insightful. - Herbert Kasube, MAA Online;Hodgkin makes a convincing case for the importance of Ismaic mathematics. - The Times Higher

Oxford University Press, UK; June 2005
Download in secure PDF format