Discovering Evolutionary Ecology

Bringing Together Ecology and Evolution

Discovering Evolutionary Ecology
Why are some kinds of organism species-rich and others species-poor? How do new species arise and why do some go extinct? Why do organisms grow and behave the way they do? This book provides an introduction to evolutionary ecology, the science that brings ecology and evolution together to help understand biological diversity. Ideal as an introduction for undergraduates, this book will also interest established researchers, providing a broad and up-to-date context for their

work. - ;Why are some kinds of organism species-rich and others species-poor? How do new species arise and why do some go extinct? Why do organisms grow and behave the way they do? This book provides an introduction to evolutionary ecology, the science that brings ecology and evolution together to help understand biological diversity. In a concise, readable format, Peter Mayhew covers the entire breadth of the subject, from life histories and the evolution of sex, to speciation and

macroecology. Many emerging fields are also introduced, such as metabolic ecology, the evolution of population dynamics, and the evolution of global ecology. Discovering Evolutionary Ecology highlights the connections between these different subject areas, and for the first time paints a picture of a truly

integrated field. It illustrates the research tools utilized, and demonstrates how advances in one area can spur on developments elsewhere when scientists combine evolutionary and ecological knowledge. To maximize accessibility, the book assumes only a basic knowledge of biology, includes a comprehensive glossary, and contains almost no maths. Each chapter provides suggestions for further reading, and there is also an extensive reference list. Ideal as an introduction to evolutionary ecology

for undergraduates, this book will also interest established researchers, providing a broad and up-to-date context for their work. - ;'This is a book useful for a broad audience, from the undergraduate student to the professional scientist, and its simple, clear and very pleasant style makes it accessible and appealing to the non-biologist reader.' Vie et Milieu, 57 (3) - ;...readable and well-illustrated with relevant and easy-to-understand graphs, line drawings and tables. Undergraduates will love it. - Keith Day and Brian Rushton The Times Higher Education Supplement;The touch is light and friendly, in many ways following in the tradition of all good books of natural history. - Keith Day and Brian Rushton, THES;'This is a super textbook, which had me gripped from the opening sentences of the Preface...I suspect many lecturers looking for a new textbook in evolutionary ecology will be tempted to recommend this one.' - Des Thompson, Bulletin of the British Ecological Society 37:3;'It is very rare to find an author who can convey the excitement of ecological research in a text book, but Peter Mayhew succeeds....It is a book that should prove an inspiration to thoughtful students at both undergraduate and postgraduate level.' - Peter Moore, Bulletin of the British Ecological Society 37:2

Oxford University Press, UK; January 2006
Download in secure PDF format
0191524700
9780191524707
9780198525288