The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...
Introducing Translation Studies
Theories and Applications
This introductory textbook provides an accessible overview of the key contributions to translation theory.
Jeremy Munday explores each theory chapter-by-chapter and tests the different approaches by applying them to texts. The texts discussed are taken from a broad range of languages – English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Punjabi, Portuguese and English translations are provided. A wide variety of text types are analyzed, including a tourist brochure, a children's cookery book, a Harry Potter novel, the Bible, literary reviews and translators' prefaces, film translation, a technical text and a European Parliament speech. Each chapter includes the following features:
- a table introducing key concepts
- an introduction outlining the translation theory or theories
- illustrative texts with translations
- a chapter summary
- discussion points and exercises.
Including a general introduction, an extensive bibliography, and websites for further information, this is a practical, user-friendly textbook that gives a balanced and comprehensive insight into translation studies.
240 pages; ISBN 9781135198183
, or download in or
More from this author
More Language Arts
- Academic > Languages and Linguistics > Philology. Linguistics > Language. Linguistic theory. Comparative grammar > Translating and interpreting
- Academic > Languages and Linguistics > Philology. Linguistics > General
- Language Arts & Disciplines > Linguistics
- Language Arts & Disciplines > Translating & Interpreting