The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader...
Convivial Urban Spaces
Creating Effective Public Places
Despite developments in urban design during the last few decades, architects, urban planners and designers often continue to produce areas of bland, commercially led urban fabric that deliver the basic functional requirements of shelter, work and leisure but are socially unsustainable and likely generators of future problems.
Convivial Urban Spaces demonstrates that successful urban public spaces are an essential part of a sustainable built environment. Without them we are likely to drift into an increasingly private and polarized society, with all the problems that would imply. Taking a multidisciplinary approach, this book draws on research, and the literature and theory of environmental psychology and urban design, to advance our understanding of what makes effective public spaces. Practical guidance is illustrated with case studies from the UK, Spain, Germany and Italy.
The result is a practical and clearly presented guide to urban public space for planners, architects and students of the urban environment.
161 pages; ISBN 9781136568978
, or download in
More Political Science
- Academic > Performing Arts > Theaters > Theaters > Theaters > By city and building A-Z
- Academic > Architecture, Landscape > Architecture > Aesthetics of cities. City planning and beautifying
- Academic > Performing Arts > Theaters > Theaters > By city and building A-Z
- Academic > Performing Arts > Theaters > Theaters > 1821-
- Academic > Visual Arts > Architecture
- Academic > Visual Arts > Architecture > Aesthetics of cities. City planning and beautifying
- Academic > Performing Arts > Theaters > Other countries A-Z
- Academic > Economics
- Architecture > Public, Commercial, or Industrial Buildings
- Architecture > Urban & Land Use Planning
- Political Science > City Planning & Urban Development