The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, BlackBerry ...
Setting the World Ablaze
Washington, Adams, Jefferson, and the American Revolution
A leading historian of the Revolutionary era, Ferling draws on an unsurpassed command of the primary sources and a talent for swiftly moving narrative to give us intimate views of each of these men. More than any scholar before him, Ferling shows us both the overarching historical picture of the era and a gripping sense of how these men encountered the challenges that faced them. At close quarters, we see Washington, containing a profound anger at British injustice within an austere demeanor; Adams, far from home, struggling with severe illness and French duplicity in his crucial negotiations in Paris; and Jefferson, distracted and indecisive, confronting uncertainties about his future in politics. John Adams, in particular, emerges from the narrative as the most underappreciated hero of the Revolution, while Jefferson is revealed as the most overrated of the Founders, although the most eloquent.
Setting the World Ablaze shows in dramatic detail how these conservative men--successful members of the colonial elite--were transformed into radical revolutionaries, and in doing so, it illuminates not just the special genius of these three leaders, but the remarkable transformation of His Majesty's colonies into the United States.
427 pages; ISBN 9780199728817
Killing Patton 2014 US$ 12.99 304 pages
History for the IB Diploma: Causes, Practices and Effects of Wars 2011 US$ 26.00 241 pages
- Academic > History > United States > Revolution to the Civil War, 1775/1783-1861 > General > Collected works of American statesmen
- Academic > History > United States > Revolution to the Civil War, 1775/1783-1861 > General > Biography (Late eighteenth century)
- History > United States > Colonial Period (1600-1775)
- History > United States > Civil War Period (1850-1877)
- History > United States > 20th Century
- History > Military > Vietnam War
- Biography & Autobiography > Presidents & Heads of State
- Biography & Autobiography > Political
- Political Science > Leadership
- History > Americas (North, Central, South, West Indies)
- History > Great Britain
- History > Europe
- History > World