The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader...
The Politics of Transition in Central Asia and the Caucasus
Enduring Legacies and Emerging Challenges
Most books on the Caucasus and Central Asia are country-by-country studies. This book, on the other hand, fills a gap in Central Eurasian studies as one of the few comparative case study books on Central Eurasia, covering both the Caucasus and Central Asia; it considers key themes right across the two regions highlighting both political change and continuity. Comparative case study chapters, written by regional experts from a variety of methodological backgrounds, provide historical context, and evaluate Soviet political legacies and emerging policy outcomes. Key topics include: the varied types and sources of authoritarianism; political opposition and protest politics; predetermined outcomes of post-Soviet economic choices; social and stability impacts of natural resource wealth; variations in educational reform; international norm influence on gender policy and the power of human rights activists. Overall, the book provides a thorough, up-to-date overview of what is increasingly becoming a significant area of concern.
272 pages; ISBN 9781134207442
, or download in or
More Social Science
- Academic > Public Affairs > Public Affairs > Asia, Africa, Australia, Pacific Area, etc. > Asia > Central Asia
- Academic > Public Affairs > Political institutions and public administration > General. Comparative government > Political rights. Political participation
- Academic > Political Science > Political institutions and public administration (Asia, Africa, Australia, Pacific Area, etc.) > Asia > Central Asia Including former republics of the Soviet Union
- Science > Geography
- Political Science > International Relations
- Political Science > Practical Politics
- Social Science > Ethnic Studies