The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...
A Practical Guide to Autism
What Every Parent, Family Member, and Teacher Needs to Know
Since we each don’t have our own research assistants on staff, I am delighted to recommend this wonderful book by Fred Volkmar and Lisa Wiesner. Both of these talented professional leaders have combined their scientific skills and understanding of the field with great practical experience and ideas about how research can be translated into clinical practice. The result is a book that provides the best and most comprehensive information about recent scientific developments and a splendid practical guide for how they are being implemented and what we are learning in the process. The issues are presented in all of their complexity but translated into language that is clear, direct, and easy to follow. The format also lends itself to understanding the complex issues and their implications through excellent charts, question and answer sections, and chapters that vary from describing diagnostic issues to stating very specifically how to expand and evaluate the services one is receiving. The comprehensive references and lists of additional resources also add greatly to the overall package.
As a professional dedicated to understanding scientific advances and helping families and teachers to utilize them most effectively, I am very pleased to have an ally like this book available. I am very grateful to the authors for providing a very credible, practical, and relevant addition to our field to help the many advocates and family practitioners to better understand the exciting new developments and how they can be implemented in our day to day work. Those taking the time to read through this superb volume will find it time well spent that pays back dividends in many different ways.
—FOREWORD by Gary B. Mesibov, Ph.D., Professor and Director of TEACCH, Treatment and Education of Autistic and Related Communication Handicapped Children University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
624 pages; ISBN 9780470502617
, or download in or
More from this author
- Evidence-Based Practices and Treatments for Children with Autism2010US$ 49.95412 pages
Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man 2009 US$ 9.99 242 pages
Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus 2009 US$ 11.49 1 pages
- Academic > Health Sciences > Internal medicine > Neurosciences. Biological psychiatry. Neuropsychiatry > Neurology. Diseases of the nervous system
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Education of special classes of persons > Exceptional children and youth. Special education
- Social Science > Special Groups > Disabled
- Psychology & Psychiatry > Neuropsychology
- Psychology & Psychiatry > Psychopathology
- Education > Special Education
- Family & Relationships > Parenting
- Family & Relationships > Children with Special Needs