The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, BlackBerry ...
Grow a Greener Data Center
Grow a Greener Data Center
A guide to building and operating energy-efficient,
ecologically sensitive IT and Facilities infrastructure
Conventional Data Centers can have a huge impact upon the environment, using massive amounts of energy and water, emitting pollutants, and discarding huge quantities of machine waste. Their insatiable demand for energy and often inefficient designs make Data Centers expensive to operate and prime targets for future environmental regulation.
Fortunately, it’s now possible to design a Data Center that consumes fewer resources, costs less money to run, has a longer usable lifespan, and can even highlight a company’s social responsibility. Grow a Greener Data Center shows how.
Douglas Alger makes the business case for greening Data Centers and presents technologies, design strategies, and operational approaches to help any company improve the energy efficiency and “eco-friendliness” of their IT hosting environments. He provides multiple strategies for “greening” each phase of a new Data Center project–selecting a site, designing and building the facility, and choosing hardware–as well as tips for retrofitting an existing server environment.
Alger explores IT and facilities technology areas as well as broader green building practices, including building material selection, electrical system design, use of alternative energy, cooling system design, cabling media choices, fire suppression options, water conservation practices, landscaping strategies, recycling programs, e-waste management, and more.
- Explores how to green each phase of your Data Center project including site selection, physical design, construction, and hardware selection
- Offers green strategies for all Data Center technologies including power, cooling, cabling, fire suppression, and virtualization
- Presents IT and facilities design (and retrofitting) strategies that can save hundreds of thousands of dollars per year in energy costs
- Reveals financial incentive programs to help pay for green Data Center initiatives
- Outlines Data Center efficiency metrics and environmental building assessment systems used worldwide to rate how green a facility is
- Highlights the lessons of dozens of case studies and real-world installations pertaining to energy efficiency, green building projects, and Data Center technologies
- Addresses broader green business practices including proper e-waste disposal, water conservation, and fostering alternative transportation
319 pages; ISBN 9781587059872
, or download in or
Title: Grow a Greener Data Center
Author: Douglas Alger
How the World Sees You 2014 US$ 16.99 256 pages
The Essential Financial Toolkit 2010 US$ 46.00 195 pages