Introducing Neuroeducational Research
Neuroscience, Education and the Brain from Contexts to Practice
Amongst educators, scientists and policy-makers there is a growing belief that the field of education can benefit from an understanding of the brain. However, attempts to bring neuroscience and education together have often been hampered by crucial differences in concepts, language and philosophy. In this book, Paul Howard-Jones explores these differences, drawing on the voices of educators and scientists to argue for a new field of enquiry: neuroeducational research.
Introducing Neuroeducational Research provides a meaningful bridge between two diverse perspectives on learning. It proposes that any such bridge must serve two goals that are critically related to each other: it must enrich both scientific and educational understanding. This challenge gives rise to unique conceptual, methodological and ethical issues that will inevitably characterise this new field, and these are examined and illustrated here through empirical research. Throughout the book, Paul Howard-Jones:
- Explores ‘neuromyths’ and their impact on educational research
- Highlights the opportunities to combine biological, social and experiential evidence in understanding how we learn
- Argues against a ‘brain-based’ natural science of education
- Introduces clearly the concept of an interdisciplinary neuroeducational approach
- Builds a methodology for conducting neuroeducational research
- Draws on case studies and empirical findings to illustrate how a neuroeducational approach can provide a fuller picture of how we learn.
Presenting a blueprint for including our knowledge of the brain in education, this book is essential reading for all those concerned with human learning in authentic contexts: educators, scientists and policy-makers alike.
256 pages; ISBN 9781135270285
, or download in or
Title: Introducing Neuroeducational Research
Author: Paul Howard Jones
Biology for the IB Diploma 1753 US$ 47.00 415 pages
Leading Change Step-by-Step 2010 US$ 29.95 226 pages
The Common Core Companion: The Standards Decoded, Grades 3-5 2014 US$ 34.95 289 pages
Experience And Education 2007 US$ 8.73 96 pages