Bubble Machines, Vampire Squids, and the Long Con That Is Breaking America
A brilliantly illuminating and darkly comic tale of the ongoing financial and political crisis in America
The financial crisis that exploded in 2008 isn’t past but prologue. The grifter class—made up of the largest players in the financial industry and the politicians who do their bidding—has been growing in power, and the crisis was only one terrifying manifestation of how they’ve hijacked America’s political and economic life.
Matt Taibbi has combined deep sources, trailblazing reportage, and provocative analysis to create the most lucid, emotionally galvanizing account yet written of this ongoing American crisis. He offers fresh reporting on the backroom deals of the bailout; tells the story of Goldman Sachs, the “vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity”; and uncovers the hidden commodities bubble that transferred billions of dollars to Wall Street while creating food shortages around the world.
This is essential reading for anyone who wants to understand the labyrinthine inner workings of this country, and the profound consequences for us all.
Author: Matt Taibbi
- Academic > Political Science > Political institutions and public administration (United States)
- History > United States > 20th Century
- History > United States > Colonial Period (1600-1775)
- History > United States > Civil War Period (1850-1877)
- Current Events > Political
- Current Events > American
- History > Military > Vietnam War
- Political Science > Federal Government
- Political Science > Constitutions
- History > Americas (North, Central, South, West Indies)
- History > Modern
- Business > Economic History
- Business > Management
- Business > Investments & Securities
- Business > Government & Business
- Social Science