The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader...
Globalization, the Nation-State and the Citizen
Dilemmas and Directions for Civics and Citizenship Education
The past decade has seen an explosion of interest in civics and citizenship education. There have been unprecedented developments in citizenship education taking place in schools, adult education centers, or in the less formally structured spaces of media images and commentary around the world. This book provides an overview of the development of civics and citizenship education policy across a range of nation states. The contributors, all widely respected scholars in the field of civics and citizenship education, provide a thorough understanding of the different ways in which citizenship has been taken up by educators, governments and the wider public. Citizenship is never a single given, unproblematic concept, but rather its meanings have to be worked through and developed in terms of the particularities of socio-political location and history. This volume promotes a wider and more grounded understanding of the ways in which citizenship education is enacted across different nation states in order to develop education for active and participatory citizenry in both local and global contexts.
252 pages; ISBN 9781136995293
, or download in or
More from this author
More Social Science
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Social aspects of education > Education and the state > Public school question. Secularization. Religious instruction in the public schools
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Types of education > Political education
- Political Science > Civil Rights
- Education > Philosophy & Social Aspects
- Education > Teaching Methods & Materials
- Social Science > Citizenship