The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...
Teaching with Poverty in Mind
What Being Poor Does to Kids' Brains and What Schools Can Do About It
Jensen argues that although chronic exposure to poverty can result in detrimental changes to the brain, the brain's very ability to adapt from experience means that poor children can also experience emotional, social, and academic success. A brain that is susceptible to adverse environmental effects is equally susceptible to the positive effects of rich, balanced learning environments and caring relationships that build students' resilience, self-esteem, and character.
Drawing from research, experience, and real school success stories, Teaching with Poverty in Mind reveals what poverty is and how it affects students in school; what drives change both at the macro level (within schools and districts) and at the micro level (inside a student's brain); effective strategies from those who have succeeded and ways to replicate those best practices at your own school; and how to engage the resources necessary to make change happen.
Too often, we talk about change while maintaining a culture of excuses. We can do better. Although no magic bullet can offset the grave challenges faced daily by disadvantaged children, this timely resource shines a spotlight on what matters most, providing an inspiring and practical guide for enriching the minds and lives of all your students.
195 pages; ISBN 9781416610113
, or download in
More from this author
Understanding by Design, Expanded 2nd Edition 2005 US$ 32.95 383 pages
Energizing Brain Breaks 2013 US$ 19.95 65 pages
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Education of special classes of persons > Exceptional children and youth. Special education > Children and youth with disabilities. Learning disabled children and youth
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Moral and religious education > Religion and education. Education under church control > Christian education. Church education
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Social aspects of education > Educational sociology
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Forms of education > Home education
- Education > Teaching Methods & Materials
- Education > Students & Student Life
- Education > Educational Psychology