Teaching with Poverty in Mind

What Being Poor Does to Kids' Brains and What Schools Can Do About It

Teaching with Poverty in Mind by Eric Jensen
Veteran educator and brain expert Eric Jensen takes an unflinching look at how poverty hurts children, families, and communities across the United States and demonstrates how schools can improve the academic achievement and life readiness of economically disadvantaged students.

Jensen argues that although chronic exposure to poverty can result in detrimental changes to the brain, the brain's very ability to adapt from experience means that poor children can also experience emotional, social, and academic success. A brain that is susceptible to adverse environmental effects is equally susceptible to the positive effects of rich, balanced learning environments and caring relationships that build students' resilience, self-esteem, and character.

Drawing from research, experience, and real school success stories, Teaching with Poverty in Mind reveals what poverty is and how it affects students in school; what drives change both at the macro level (within schools and districts) and at the micro level (inside a student's brain); effective strategies from those who have succeeded and ways to replicate those best practices at your own school; and how to engage the resources necessary to make change happen.

Too often, we talk about change while maintaining a culture of excuses. We can do better. Although no magic bullet can offset the grave challenges faced daily by disadvantaged children, this timely resource shines a spotlight on what matters most, providing an inspiring and practical guide for enriching the minds and lives of all your students.

ASCD; November 2009
Title: Teaching with Poverty in Mind
Author: Eric Jensen

Barrington District 220 teachers exchange ideas with educators in Dominican Republic - Chicago Tribune
Tue, 09 Aug 2016 12:25:33 -0700
Chicago TribuneBarrington District 220 teachers exchange ideas with educators in Dominican RepublicChicago TribuneTo prepare ...
Fulbright scholar already on task - Champaign/Urbana News-Gazette
Thu, 07 Jul 2016 05:16:36 -0700
Champaign/Urbana News-GazetteFulbright scholar already on taskChampaign/Urbana News-GazetteAt Northview, she read a book by ...
Woodcrest to pilot parent-teacher listening conferences first day of school - Coon Rapids Herald
Tue, 17 Jul 2012 05:04:21 -0700
Woodcrest to pilot parent-teacher listening conferences first day of schoolCoon Rapids HeraldAmong books that influenced ...