Quantum Mechanics in a Nutshell
Covering the fundamentals as well as many special topics of current interest, this is the most concise, up-to-date, and accessible graduate-level textbook on quantum mechanics available. Written by Gerald Mahan, a distinguished research physicist and author of an acclaimed textbook on many-particle physics, Quantum Mechanics in a Nutshell is the distillation of many years' teaching experience.
Emphasizing the use of quantum mechanics to describe actual quantum systems such as atoms and solids, and rich with interesting applications, the book proceeds from solving for the properties of a single particle in potential; to solving for two particles (the helium atom); to addressing many-particle systems. Applications include electron gas, magnetism, and Bose-Einstein Condensation; examples are carefully chosen and worked; and each chapter has numerous homework problems, many of them original.
Quantum Mechanics in a Nutshell expertly addresses traditional and modern topics, including perturbation theory, WKBJ, variational methods, angular momentum, the Dirac equation, many-particle wave functions, Casimir Force, and Bell's Theorem. And it treats many topics--such as the interactions between photons and electrons, scattering theory, and density functional theory--in exceptional depth.
A valuable addition to the teaching literature, Quantum Mechanics in a Nutshell is ideally suited for a two-semester course.
- The most concise, up-to-date, and accessible graduate textbook on the subject
- Contains the ideal amount of material for a two-semester course
- Focuses on the description of actual quantum systems, including a range of applications
- Covers traditional topics, as well as those at the frontiers of research
- Treats in unprecedented detail topics such as photon-electron interaction, scattering theory, and density functional theory
- Includes numerous homework problems at the end of each chapter
414 pages; ISBN 9781400833382
, or download in or
Title: Quantum Mechanics in a Nutshell
Author: Gerald D. Mahan
People and Wildlife, Conflict or Co-existence? 2005 US$ 64.00 517 pages
The Sixth Extinction 2014 US$ 9.99 352 pages
Sapiens 2015 US$ 14.99 352 pages
An Introduction to the Global Circulation of the Atmosphere 2015 US$ 90.00 480 pages
- Academic > Physics > Elementary particle physics > Particles (Nuclear physics); Congresses
- Academic > Physics > Elementary particle physics > Neutrinos; Mass
- Academic > Physics > Elementary particle physics > Photons
- Academic > Physics > Elementary particle physics > Photons; Scattering
- Academic > Physics > Nuclear and particle physics
- Academic > Physics > Physics; History
- Science > Physics
- Science > Quantum Theory
- Science > Solid State Physics