China; A History, 2

From the Great Qing Empire through The People's Republic of China, (1644 - 2009)

China; A History, 2
Originally published as the second half of the one volume work, China: A History, which spans from 10,000 BCE to 2009, China: A History, Volume 2 covers the history of China from 1644-2009, from the Great Qing Empire through the People’s Republic of China of today.

"A solid, clearly written and up-to-date account of China's dynastic history, taking note of recent research, and with attention to cultural developments and economic practice. An accessible read, even for first-comers to this highly complex subject; this is an excellent introduction to China that instructors will welcome and students will enjoy." —Michael Loewe, University Lecturer in Chinese Studies, University of Cambridge 1963—1990; Emeritus Fellow of Clare Hall.

"Tanner has written an excellent text on Chinese history which offers a fine balance between the traditional and the modern. He also charts a good balance between studies of the elite, government, philosophy and diplomacy and, on the other hand, analyses of ordinary people, economic institutions, social patterns, and folk religion.
"The book provides a comprehensive view of Chinese culture, including developments in literature and the arts. A generous selection of illustrations facilitates comprehension of and pleasure in the visual arts.
"Finally, Professor Tanner's consideration of Western contact with China and the attendant problems and gains is judicious and informative."
—Morris Rossabi, Distinguished Professor of History, City University of New York

" . . . . Tanner writes attractively . . . . He tells many stories of villains and heroes, of tragedy and comedy, of high culture and coarse humour, of wealth and poverty, of feast and famine, of poignant suffering, all of which keep the reader's interest and indeed fascination. It is a heroic tale that he tells and he does this superbly, rejecting myths and misunderstandings that have beset Western views of a complex country."
—G.R. Batho, The Historical Association Reviews

Harold M. Tanner is Associate Professor of History at the University of North Texas.

Hackett Publishing Company, Inc.; April 2010
1603843027
9781603842051
9781603843027
9781603845663