Publics, Politics and Power

Remaking the Public in Public Services

Publics, Politics and Power by Janet E Newman
Electronic Inspection Copy available for instructors here

"Very stimulating and intellectually exciting. In fact, I think it is one of the best books I have read for a long time." - Professor Carsten Greve, International centre for Business and Politics at the Copenhagen Business School

Publicness appears to be in decline or retreat in the face of markets, consumerism and individualism. Yet questions of public participation, public governance and the reform of public services are at the top of the political agenda in many countries.

Publics, Politics and Power offers an innovative analysis of the changing fortunes of publicness. The book

" Explores the emergence of new forms, sites and practices of publicness and the implications for public services.

" Examines the remaking of the public in the context of new formations of the nation, where issues of migration, diversity and faith challenge traditional forms of solidarity and citizenship.

" Traces the emergence of hybrid organizational forms and new strategies for governing publics and public services.

" Assesses some of the ways in which the public domain is being recast around notions of civil society, community, and populist participatory politics.

Chapters include vignettes illustrating the book's core concepts, making this a useful teaching resource and valuable reading for students of public management, public and social policy, sociology and cultural studies, and for those working in public services.

Janet Newman is a Professor of Social Policy at the Open University, and Director of the Publics Research Programme within the Centre for Citizenship, Identities and Governance. John Clarke is a Professor of Social Policy at the Open University. His research has centred on conflicts over the future of welfare states, public services and citizenship in the UK and elsewhere.

SAGE Publications; January 2009
Title: Publics, Politics and Power
Author: Janet E Newman; John H. Clarke

Buy, download and read Publics, Politics and Power (eBook) by Janet E Newman; John H. Clarke today!