The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader...
Home Hacking Projects for Geeks
Take a geek and a PC, add one soldering iron, a home, and a copy of Home Hacking Projects for Geeks, and you'll give new meaning to the term, "home improvement." From fearless neophytes to tool-wielding masterminds, the home hacker in any geek will find new inspiration and plenty of hands-on guidance to take on a variety of home-transforming projects once relegated to the world of sci-fi.
This fun new guide combines creativity with electricity and power tools to achieve cool--and sometimes even practical--home automation projects. Never again will you have to flip a light switch when you enter a room or use a key to open your front door. With a few off-the-shelf devices, some homemade hardware, and a little imagination, you can be living in your own high-tech habitat.
Home Hacking Projects for Geeks shows hackers of all ability levels how to take on a wide range of projects, from the relatively small but energy-conscious automating of light switches, to building home theaters using Windows or Linux-based PCs, to more complicated projects like building home security systems that rival those offered by professional security consultants. Each project includes a conceptual diagram, a "What You Need List" and a small "Project Stats" section that describes the relative difficulty, time involved, and cost of the project. What's more, each project is a workable, practical way to improve your home--something unique that you can customize for your individual needs.
The thirteen projects in Home Hacking Projects for Geeks are divided into three categories: Home Automation, Home Entertainment Systems, and Security, and include projects such as:
- Remotely Monitor Your Pet
- Make Your House Talk
- Remotely Control Your Computer's MP3 player
- Create Time-Shifted FM Radio
- Watch Your House Across the Network
- Build a Home Security System
338 pages; ISBN 9780596154004
, or download in
More from this author
- Academic > Engineering > Electrical engineering. Electronics. Nuclear engineering > Electronics
- Computers > Hardware > Handheld Computing
- Games > Video & Electronic
- Computers > Networking > Local Area Networks (LANs)
- Computers > Personal Computers & Microcomputers > IBM-Compatible
- Computers > Interactive Media
- House & Home