The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...
Dances With Spiders
Crisis, Celebrity and Celebration in Southern Italy
For centuries, the rite of the tarantula was the only cure for those ‘bitten’ or ‘possessed’ by the mythic Apulian spider. Its victims had to dance to the local tarantella or ‘pizzica’ for days on end. Today, the pizzica has returned to the limelight, bringing to the forefront issues of performance, gender, identity and well-being. This book explores how and why the pizzica has boomed in the Salento and elsewhere and asks whether this current popu- larity has anything to do with the historic ritual of tarantism or with the intention of recovering well-being. While personal stories and experiences may confirm the latter, a vital shift has appeared in the Salento: from the confrontation of life crises to the vibrant promotion and celebration of a local sense of identity and celebrity.
272 pages; ISBN 9781845458751
More Social Science
- Academic > Anthropology > Manners and customs (General) > Customs relative to public and social life, Including town life, court life, festivals, holidays, ceremonies of royalty, etc.
- Academic > Sports and Recreation > Dancing
- Academic > Performing Arts > Dance > Dance History
- Academic > Performing Arts > Dance > Special Dances
- Social Science > Anthropology > Cultural
- Performing Arts > Dance
- Music > Popular
- Social Science > Popular Culture