Iraq, Democracy and the Future of the Muslim World
Iraq, democracy and Islam are powerful global forces which shape not only many aspects of the lives of Muslims, but the lives of other citizens of the world as well. This book explores many of the challenging questions posed by the interconnections between these three forces, concentrating on issues which have global significance and which have been less studied up until now. It contains contributions from many of the leading thinkers and academics from this subject area, including the former President of Iran, Seyyed Mohammad Khatami.
Topics such as the compatibility of Islam and democracy, and the question of whether democracy can be encouraged in the Middle East are looked at carefully. Contributors evaluate the circumstances under which democracy can be imposed by outside force, and asks what forces are driving the confrontation between the West and Islam, before looking at how this confrontation is likely to develop.
This book presents a comprehensive picture of dynamic change in the geopolitics of our time, and offers a timely contribution to research on Middle East Politics and Islamic Studies.
226 pages; ISBN 9781136950919
, or download in or
Title: Iraq, Democracy and the Future of the Muslim World
Author: Ali Paya; John L Esposito
More Social Science
- Academic > Public Affairs > Public Affairs > Asia, Africa, Australia, Pacific Area, etc.
- Academic > Public Affairs > Public Affairs > Asia, Africa, Australia, Pacific Area, etc. > Middle East
- Academic > Political Science > Political institutions and public administration (Asia, Africa, Australia, Pacific Area, etc.) > Asia > Middle EastIncluding Turkey, Iran, Israel, Arabian Penninsula
- Political Science > Democracy
- Political Science > Practical Politics