- How do they know how much an aircraft carrier weighs?
- How do they get music onto a CD?
- How does an electric eel generate electricity?
- How do they know how long a second is?
- How do penguins stay warm in Antarctica?
- How do they teach guide dogs to cross at a green light?
The answers to these and many other everyday wonders are explained.
Here, in simple and easy-to-understand terms, are solutions to the riddles of everyday life. How exactly does a thief break into your car and drive off with it in less than a minute? And how do they get Hostess Twinkies to stay fresh for so long?
More How Do They Do That? also reveals aspects of modern science and the natural world that are often taken for granted. How do they measure the heat of distant stars? How do they measure the ozone layer? And how do they know there's going to be another ice age in two thousand years? The answers await within. . .