The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, BlackBerry ...
The New Nobility
The Restoration of Russia's Security State and the Enduring Legacy of the KGB
While Vladimir Putin has been president and prime minister of Russia, the Kremlin has deployed the security services to intimidate the political opposition, reassert the power of the state, and carry out assassinations overseas. At the same time, its agents and spies were put beyond public accountability and blessed with the prestige, benefits, and legitimacy lost since the Soviet collapse.
The security services have played a central? and often mysterious?role at key turning points in Russia during these tumultuous years: from the Moscow apartment house bombings and theater siege, to the war in Chechnya and the Beslan massacre. The security services are not all-powerful; they have made clumsy and sometimes catastrophic blunders. But what is clear is that after the chaotic 1990s, when they were sidelined, they have made a remarkable return to power, abetted by their most famous alumnus, Putin.
320 pages; ISBN 9781586489236
, or download in or
Killing Patton 2014 US$ 12.99 304 pages
History for the IB Diploma: Causes, Practices and Effects of Wars 2011 US$ 26.00 241 pages
- Academic > Public Affairs > Public Affairs > Europe
- Academic > Public Affairs > Public Affairs > Europe > General
- Academic > Public Affairs > Public Affairs > Europe > Soviet Union. Russia. Former Soviet Republics
- Academic > Public Affairs > Political institutions and public administration > General. Comparative government > Political rights. Political participation
- Academic > Political Science > Political institutions and public administration (Europe) > General
- Academic > Political Science > Political institutions and public administration (Europe) > Soviet Union. Russia. Former Soviet Republics
- Political Science > International Relations
- Political Science > Political Freedom & Security
- Social Science > Social Issues
- History > Russia (Pre- & Post-Soviet Union)