The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader...
Resisting the Tide
Cultures of Opposition Under Berlusconi (2001-06)
Edited by members of the Department of Italian Studies at the University of Birmingham, and bringing together academics in Britain, Ireland, the US and Italy, this volume takes an international perspective on Italian events. It investigates how resistance to the new conservative culture has been articulated, and how this has been expressed and explained by those involved.
The volume is divided into four areas: 1. The Economic and Media Landscapes, which sets the scene for the rest of the book by explaining how Italian society, and particularly its media environment, have developed in recent years; 2. Political Challenges, which discusses the main threats to the authority and policies of Berlusconi coming from within his own centre-right coalition, the left and social movements; 3. Texts, which analyses films, internet sites, television programmes, novels, newspaper articles and theatre performances that sought to resist increasingly dominant conservative norms and/or respond to events set in motion by the Berlusconi governments; 4.Experiences, covering the voices and practices of those who have opposed Berlusconi from within the cultural industries and identity movements, such as journalists, LGBT activists, feminists and associations representing immigrant communities.
Wide-ranging, innovative and challenging, this volume should appeal to all those who have an interest in Italy, political–, media– and cultural studies.
269 pages; ISBN 9781441171061
, or download in
- Academic > Public Affairs > Public Affairs > Europe
- Academic > Public Affairs > Public Affairs > Europe > General
- Academic > Public Affairs > Public Affairs > Europe > Italy
- Academic > Public Affairs > Political institutions and public administration > General. Comparative government > Political rights. Political participation
- Academic > Political Science > Political institutions and public administration (Europe) > General
- Academic > Political Science > Political institutions and public administration (Europe) > Italy
- History > Military > World War I
- History > Europe
- History > Italy