Justice

What's the Right Thing to Do?

Justice by Michael J. Sandel

What are our obligations to others as people in a free society? Should government tax the rich to help the poor? Is the free market fair? Is it sometimes wrong to tell the truth? Is killing sometimes morally required? Is it possible, or desirable, to legislate morality? Do individual rights and the common good conflict?

Michael J. Sandel's "Justice" course is one of the most popular and influential at Harvard. Up to a thousand students pack the campus theater to hear Sandel relate the big questions of political philosophy to the most vexing issues of the day, and this fall, public television will air a series based on the course. Justice offers readers the same exhilarating journey that captivates Harvard students. This book is a searching, lyrical exploration of the meaning of justice, one that invites readers of all political persuasions to consider familiar controversies in fresh and illuminating ways. Affirmative action, same-sex marriage, physician-assisted suicide, abortion, national service, patriotism and dissent, the moral limits of markets—Sandel dramatizes the challenge of thinking through these con?icts, and shows how a surer grasp of philosophy can help us make sense of politics, morality, and our own convictions as well. Justice is lively, thought-provoking, and wise—an essential new addition to the small shelf of books that speak convincingly to the hard questions of our civic life.

Farrar, Straus and Giroux; September 2009
Download in secure EPUB
Title: Justice
Author: Michael J. Sandel

Buy, download and read Justice (eBook) by Michael J. Sandel today!
Top ten essential books for aspiring lawyers - OUPblog (blog)
Mon, 22 Aug 2016 00:37:59 -0700
Top ten essential books for aspiring lawyersOUPblog (blog)I start, not with a work of fiction, but this book by a former Lord ...
Why Humans Tend to Sympathize More With Animals Than Other Humans - ATTN
Wed, 08 Jun 2016 08:55:41 -0700
ATTNWhy Humans Tend to Sympathize More With Animals Than Other HumansATTNHerzog, as someone who specializes in the study of ...
Lawyers and the Ick Factor - The New Yorker
Thu, 09 Jul 2015 12:19:48 -0700
The New YorkerLawyers and the Ick FactorThe New YorkerJonathan T. Molot, a professor at the Georgetown University Law Center ...